Cave is a historic settlement located between Fairlie and Timaru on State Highway 8.
Two Māori shepherds, Seventeen and Taiko, first reported the loss of 1,000 sheep in Cave, which were later found to be stolen by the infamous James Mackenzie - namesake of the Aoraki / Mount Cook Mackenzie region.
Just over the hill past the central village on Burnetts Road, St David's Pioneer Memorial Church is a striking landmark and memorial to the pioneers of the Mackenzie region. Designed by Herbert H. Hall and opened on 22 November 1930, this beautiful stone church was constructed without the use of nails.
The Cave's Arms Tavern is "the locals' pub" and home to the 26 kilometre off-road mid-winter mountainbike adventure, which takes place in August.